The Indy Hunger Network (IHN) is a coalition of representatives from leading anti-hunger organizations, both public and private, as well as community volunteers. Every year, IHN partners with the Corporation for National and Community Service to sponsor several AmeriCorps VISTA positions to build capacity within the Indianapolis food system. AmeriCorps VISTAs are Volunteers in Service to America who work within their community to alleviate poverty. While officially referred to as volunteers, VISTA members do receive a living stipend, end-of-service monetary award, and other benefits. To learn more about AmeriCorps VISTA and the Corporation for National and Community Service, click here.
Second Helpings – Marketing and Design Specialist VISTA
Second Helpings turns donated food into meals for thousands of hungry children and adults every day. Use your marketing and design skills to share our mission and attract donors in fresh, new ways!
Second Helpings is seeking a talented, Marketing and Communications graduate with strong design, analytics and communications skills. With its innovative and award-winning programs, Second Helpings accepts donated perishable and overstocked food to prepare nutritious meals for thousands of hungry children and adults every day. We also train unemployed and underemployed adults for meaningful careers in the culinary industry.
Preference will be given to a candidate with proficient InDesign, Photoshop, and HTML. skills. Beyond any technical skill, the VISTA should display strong communications skills and enjoy working in a team atmosphere with the ability to work independently and maintain a strong sense of self-motivation.
It’s not enough to just have a great mission and great programs. Your work will help to share that mission and attract supporters in new and dynamic ways, and will last well after your service term ends! The position also offers:
• Camaraderie with 7 other VISTAs working under the Indy Hunger Network umbrella
• Team engagement activities, including bi-weekly meetings to discuss projects, socialize, and hear from guest presenters (includes free lunch!)
• Mentoring, one-on-one coaching, and professional development trainings
• Assistance preparing for life after VISTA (resume review, interview prep, etc.)
• Opportunities to work with leaders in the hunger relief space, including current and retired corporate executives and non-profit agency heads
• Opportunities to work independently and lead on projects
The position is housed at Second Helpings on the near-east side of Indianapolis, close to downtown and the popular neighborhood of Irvington. Indianapolis is easy to navigate, has a growing indie restaurant/craft beer/coffee scene, and features lots of places to play and recreate!
In this role, you will:
• Analyze current marketing and communications materials to gain a feel for our history and mission.
• Work alongside the Marketing & Communications Manager to refresh our branding, digital and physical communications, donor stewardship, event marketing, website and more.
• Create engaging visuals for marketing materials and website that can be updated by staff after the term of the VISTA service.
• Work with programs staff to identify communications and marketing needs
• Gain experience with design and execution of direct mail, newsletters, promotional materials and more.
While you will be based at Second Helpings, you will also be one of 8 VISTAs working under the umbrella of the Indy Hunger Network (IHN). IHN regards its VISTAs as a cohort moving through a transformational year-long experience. To this end, they recently hired a coordinator to provide mentoring and professional development to the VISTAs.
For more information, contact Mary Hayes, VISTA Coordinator, Indy Hunger Network at email@example.com.